Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hello from South Africa!



I'm finally here! After 2 days, 4 plane rides, 1 delayed bag and enough grease in my hair to fry a Twinkie, I'm here! I absolutely love it here. Thesen Islands is so beautiful! There are white picket fences around each house and there are boardwalks that connect each home's backyard deck. It's so picturesque (but almost Stepford-like). I can't wait to post some pics. My bag got delayed in Johannesburg so we went to pick it up today in George (about 1 hour away). On the way we saw the beaches and the Indian Ocean. It was gorgeous! We also saw some townships on the way, proof of the apartheid (segregation) that took place here and unfortunately those folks still live there. The houses are made of tin and cardboard. I hope to get some pics to put up. The time difference is 10 hours earlier than PST, so it's night here. We had McDonald's for lunch and are watching the West Wing, so you can probably tell it's not THAT much different from home...just enough to make you aware of yourself. I'll check out more of Knysna tomorrow.


2 comments:

Annette Jones said...

I'm happy that you made it safe to africa. Can't wait to see some pictures. Have a great time there

Tam said...

Yay, keep posting, it's kind of cool to be ckecking in on someone so far away, and of course I'm looking forward to pictures.