Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Port Elizabeth

On our way to Addo, we gave Betti's friend, Fiona, a ride from Knysna to Port Elizabeth. This worked out perfectly because, one-we had to drop her off in P.E. which meant I would get to see it and not just drive by and two-Fiona is a tour guide all over South Africa. The whole drive, she told me about different social issues of SA, the history of the places we were driving through, etc. She really made the ride interesting and she was such an intelligent person. I feel lucky to have met her. Here are a few highlights of Port Elizabeth:
The landmark for PE is the pyramid. Constructed by the governor of the town in the 1800's, PE was named after his beloved wife died before he got there. He built this pyramid in her honor but a few years later he committed suicide because of his grief.



This is some church I thought was cool.


This is the Prince Edward Hotel. It was built in the 1800's and the bottom half was where passers-by would stable their horses. It was really neat.


This is a courtyard inside the Prince Edward Hotel.
This is a typical mural painted across the street from the Prince Edward Hotel. Very South African...

4 comments:

Tam said...

This may be a really dumb question, but is it the end of winter/beginning of spring there, or am I an idiot? Loving all your posts!

Bank On It said...

That's not a dumb question at all! It's spring here so it's the opposite from the US. But because I'm such a desert rat, I think it's cold-between 60-75. Like a big loser, I forgot one of my sweatshirts at home, so I have the same outfit on in every picture! Thanks for the comments!!!

Our Crazy Life said...

Sounds like you are having great fun! I can't wait to see more pictures...I am jealous for sure!

Tam said...

i guess i'm 1/2 idiot, almost right but not quite. happy and safe travels on the long journey home.