Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Safari at Addo Elephant Park



For the past couple of days we have been in Addo Elephant park-about 4 hours from Knysna in the Eastern Cape near Port Elizabeth (by no means will this blog be in chronological order). Addo was so awesome! We got to drive around on our own and look for animals. We had a checklist of sorts to mark off once we saw stuff. Here are some things we saw:






Warthogs. Yes, the Lion King soundtrack was playing in my head the whole time. Too bad they're cuter on the cartoon.


We saw lots of elephants (obviously since it's an elephant park). They were great. We also saw a ton of kudu, which is kind of a deer lookin' thing. At first, we thought we were all cool and then as time pressed on, they got boring. This is a female-she doesn't have any horns but some huge ears!




I mostly loved the safari. We rode in our jeeps around to find more animals and our guide really knew his stuff. Here I am holding M&Ms for sustanence (really, this picture is for Brenda-to show her I'm livin' it up in Africa with peanut M&Ms).



By the way, I don't know if you can read my shirt, but it's from bungy jumping the day before. It says, "Fear is temporary, regret is forever." I love it!



Here my Aunt Betti and I stop for drinks and treats while we watch the sun set on a herd of elephants.


We also saw ostrich, hyena, jackal, buffalo, meerkats, hartebeest, leopard tortoise, yellow mongoose, jackal buzzard, etc. I'm too lazy to load ALL the pics on here. I was disappointed I didn't get to see a dungbeetle or a lion.


The safari really made me feel like I was "in Africa" for the first time. Where Betti lives, it's like a normal town and it's very lush and green-not like the savannah I was expecting.

2 comments:

Annette Jones said...

looks like a great trip and you are haveing a great time

Torrey said...

The warthog is kinda gross looking, but the baby elephant is so freak'n cute! What an amazing experience! Have fun!