Saturday, January 31, 2009

Valley of Fire

Last weekend, we went to the Valley of Fire with my dad and Patty. I hadn't been out there in years. I'm a terrible wife. First we went to Roger Springs which I must say looks downright terrible now that all the trees are gone. I used to love swimming here but now that they've discovered some sort of amoeba, I guess nobody swims there anymore.

Next, we went to Echo Bay. It's so weird to see the lake lookin' so raggedy. But the carp are still there and my dad really enjoys feeding those carp. The birds didn't seem to mind either.

Afterwards, we went to the Valley of Fire. Holy smokes, it's easily been 15 years since I've been. Here's Elephant Rock.

We even saw a longhorn sheep.
We went through the whole park checking everything out again. My dad's favorite is Mouse's Tank. I used to think it was so lame because it was just a little hole with some water in it. But now that I understand and appreciate the story, I think it's pretty cool. This is the watering hole an Indian named Mouse used to hide near after he had stolen things from settlers. I guess he was a pretty brazen guy. When he finally got caught, he decided he wasn't going without a bang and so he mooned his capturers. Legend has it they shot him right in the butt!
The rest are just some pictures of us goofing around.

4 comments:

Tam said...

glad you were able to revisit those places. it was fun to see the pictures and read your post. thanks!

Tami said...

OK I've lived here all my life and didn't know the story about mouse's tank, and I haven't been there sence a field trip in the fourth grade. Thanks for the history lesson!!!

Annette Jones said...

looks like you guys all had a blast and it is a pretty place to travel around. seeing those pictures brings back alot of memories love you guys

Kim J. said...

Thanks for the comments. I will post on Saturday about the movie! It looks really cute and I just love Drew Barrymore. As for the people who inspire me...I find a lot of them through other peoples blogs too. I am taking an online class with Elsie Flannigan and Rachel that starts next week. Elsie Flannigan used to do scrapbook stuff and has her own line and now she is doing more of her own stuff. Tara Whitney is my most favorite photographer and I hope someday to go on one of her retreats. They just went to Thailand. I have lots more blogs that I visit, but just aren't on there. I will try and update this weekend.
Also...that picture of you at Valley of Fire is totally cute! I wish we could have hung out more when I lived in the valley. We need to hang out when I come to visit my parents again!