Saturday, January 17, 2009

Brownsville, Oregon

Today I'm off to Oregon to visit Brenda & her family. I love going to Oregon, it's so fun. I love going to places that are green. Brownsville is particularly fun because it's so stinkin' small (yes, smaller than Overton--easily!). There's no grocery store. No street lights. There's a gas station and a bank and a bar. This is a picture of downtown. ALL of downtown.

And Randy's. Randy's is a fabulous coffee shop that sells everything homemade. It's so good. Last time I was there we stopped and had a devine berry crumb cake. I loved it so much that Brenda stopped in last week to warn Randy I'm coming and that he better make some for me. Brownsville is where the movie Stand By Me was filmed. Brownsville natives are very proud of this fact and they have an annual Stand By Me celebration every summer. This is the Coke wall in the movie.Something I find very charming is that there is a town dog. I don't know it's name, but basically this dog just runs around town and different business owners/government officials feed him and take care of him. He sleeps in the bank at night. When you walk down the streets, you can see his doggie toys lying around and there will be watering bowls and food dishes for him. Here he is hanging out in someone's truck while they're at the bank.It feels like forever since I went to Africa (September!) and a vacation is definitely due. I love spending time with Brenda because she truly lives the life I need to lead. Everyday she has designated housewife naps from 12-2. And she takes Thursdays off. How does a stay at home mom take a day off? She doesn't clean. She doesn't cook. The kids have to cook for themselves that day. It cracks me up-that's totally something I'd do!

3 comments:

Torrey said...

A day off each week! That is awesome!! Those pictures remind me of Twilight!

{leah} said...

That first picture is beautiful!! And now I totally want to live in a place that has a town dog!!

I need to get in contact with Brenda's boss. I want to be hired to that company where I can take Thursdays off too.

Tam said...

i'm so excited to read about your trip, that place looks very cool.