Friday, April 16, 2010

It's Finally Here!

Last July, I started talking to an Air Force Reserves recruiter. It was funny, a bunch of people all sort of suggested the military at the same time and originally I thought, "Me? I don't think so." But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. So after a bunch of paperwork, I went to MEPS in October in SLC. MEPS is where they make sure you're not a gimp so you can join the military. It's like a really big physical, complete with pee tests, reading aloud, blood tests, hearing tests, vision tests, etc. After MEPS, there was a very LONG process of getting a flight physical, interviews, more paperwork, etc. On December 7, 2009, I enlisted. I have been waiting since that day to go to boot camp.

It has arrived.

Since I'm in the Reserves, I won't get shipped off to some random city. I already know my job, where I'll be stationed, etc. I also get to keep my current job (and still get paid while I'm not there!). I'm so lucky because I'll be working with some awesome people (I already know my commanding officers and stuff) and I'm absolutely stoked for the training and the job I'll have. There's a huge need for my field, so there's a lot of room for growth (in the military and in the civilian world). I can't say what it is, only that I think it's cool and I'm so proud to be able to be a part of it.

For all those people who were interviewed by the FBI because of me-thank you. I appreciate your help. For everyone that encouraged me and stuck with me through my freak-out moments (like for the advice on that cat-chewed poop bag Amanda!), thanks for calming me down. And a special thank you to Dan and Tino for running and doing push ups with me, even when I hated you for it.

I've been worrying and stressing about this moment for so long that now that it's here, I'm just really excited. I leave for San Antonio, TX on Tuesday, April 20th.

Family, you knew it was coming...I have mailed each of you write-your-favorite-airman kits. Please write! Anyone else that wants to write, it will be posted on my FB page at some point. I would love if you wrote and I promise to try to write anyone that writes me (except Michael who plans on sending embarrassing packages that will get me into trouble with the drill instructors).

This was not a decision made easily, but it feels like the right one. Boot camp is 8 1/2 weeks long and then I'll be in technical training for at least another 6 months. So, I'll be gone for a while; so no blogging until I'm allowed to use a computer again. :)
Trying to get ahead of the game with some M-16 practice.

3 comments:

Tami said...

Good Luck!! You crazy girl!!

Katie said...

Holy freaking cow! Boof, I can't believe it! I'm so proud of you though, you will be awesome. Good Luck!!

MissBrandyWard said...

Good Luck Gurl!! You can do it! Your amazing at everything you do. I will totally write you!! You have tons and tons of people that love you and that are here for you!!!!